Friday, July 20, 2012

Interview with Single Mothers


 “Is there anything you’d like to say before we go into this?”

No


“Where are you from, how many member are in Single Mothers?”

I'm from midland Georgia. i am the only member. people have played with me here and there along the way, but only for very short periods of time. I recruit people here and there for live shows. as far as recordings, that is almost always just me. if other people do show up on songs, most likely it was snipped from a jam session. right now, Paul Roessler is kind of a member. he's the man behind the curtain. he helped me record Indian pussy. he programmed drums, played keys on some stuff and implanted various sound effects. i would like to have a band, but for whatever reason that has been difficult for me to make happen.


“How long have you been writing your own music?” 

Id say since i was 12. I'm 30 now. i didn't start recording my stuff till i was 18


“What are some of your influences in your music, such as bands, songs, books, movies, etc.?”

Well, i started out on guns n' roses and Metallica, and then moved to nirvana. then through nirvana i found the Melvins. and they were kindof the gateway drug so to speak into discovering all types of weird music. i also listen to a lot of phish and enjoy the element of improv and lack of boundaries in their jams. i discovered Harvey Milk in '06 maybe, And they have had a profound effect on me. i discovered liturgy at the big ears festival in Knoxville in 2010, they are amazing.

Also, mainly my influences are myself i guess. my personality, my experiences. i never set out to write a certain thing or do something in a certain style. its very unconscious. The songs kindof just write themselves. the only 2 consistencies id say would be my affinity for slow distortion guitar and improvisation (jamming).


“What was the first instrument you played, and how old were you?”

My parents had me take piano lessons when i was around 7 or so, not sure how old i was. that didn't last. i picked up the guitar around 11 or 12 but i thought it was too hard. Having to hold down multiple strings and all, so i switched to bass. i started playing guitar again when i was around 18 or so and still play both, but i primarily play guitar.


“Best live show you’ve ever seen, who was it, when and where?”

Well, the 2 best experiences I've had at shows were on psychedelics at the phish show in Denver in 2000, and their show in Irvine California, the same year. I saw rancid at the Ogden theatre in Denver in 2001 maybe. that was awesome. it was after the second s\t album, their heaviest shit before it all went south. I saw the Buttohole Surfers in Denver around the same time in the same place. that had a profound effect on me. total sensory overload. i remember i didn't feel well for like a week, But in a good way. a good corruption. i became pretty obsessed with them after that, and still love my butthOle. 

“What is your process when writing music, does the music come to you, or do you sit down and write from point a to b?”

The music generally comes to me. a melody will come into my head or a line. then i have to sit down and write it out or record it before i forget it. then once i get the idea out, then i start working all the parts out. do this 8 times. say this hear. make something up here. put a solo here. etc.

Another way is more kindof therapeutic journalism. writing things out when feeling intense love, anger, or mainly depression. and then trying to turn that into a song.

“What album are you listening to right now, like if you pulled out your mp3 player what would be the last song played?”

I've been listening to the essential Cyndi Lauder and Deftones' adrenaline

“What band would you love to see live that you never had, any band alive or dead?”

Hmm. it would be fun to see a trainwreck doors show. would be cool to see Hendrix, preferably up close in a small club. 
I'm still waiting to see Subrosa from salt lake city.

“What are Single Mothers plans for in the future?”

Be more proactive, stop being such a coward, embrace myself

“Any last words?”

Being a coward is a waste of time.


 Check out Single Mothers Bandcamp A split album Here and their Facebook

Also check out Harry Cloud's Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment